Arrested for Disorderly Conduct? Find Out How to Protect Your Rights.

Arrested for disorderly conduct or a related charge? Many people who find themselves charged with this crime do not think it is fair. Too often, the difference between being arrested and not is whether you personally annoy a police officer or not. And being annoying, or complaining is not against the law.

Disorderly Conduct Charge? Call (800) 949-1736.

Disorderly conduct can be difficult to prove in court, but you will need competent representation, due to vagueness of the law. That is because as defined in the statues of nearly every state, their disorderly conduct laws are very broadly written, to describe any conduct that disturbs the peace or endangers the morals, health, or safety of a community. It is not the same as breach of peace. However, under some statutes, breach of the peace is an element of disorderly conduct.

Disorderly Conduct Laws

What exactly determines disorderly conduct varies from one jurisdiction to another. Most state disorderly conduct laws specifically state that misconduct is what constitutes the offense. Acts such as the use of vulgar and obscene language in a public place, loiteringinciting a riot, and harassment of passengers on public transportation, have all been regarded as disorderly conduct in a court of law in varying states.

Unlawful, disorderly behavior amounts to conduct that has the propensity of causing a disturbance, or is likely to provoke another incident in which the police will need to be called to the scene is likely disorderly conduct. However, in some states, police can and will make an arrest even if the current conduct wouldn’t otherwise cause an arrest. The vagueness of the law in such states allows arrests in those situations.

Penalties for Disorderly Conduct

The punishment for disorderly conduct is usually fixed by statute. Under most statutes the penalty consists of a fine, imprisonment, or both. Some statutes provide that an accused cannot be imprisoned for disorderly conduct unless he or she has been given an opportunity to pay a fine and has defaulted on the payment.

If you have been accused of or charged with disorderly conduct, please fill out the contact form to request a consultation with a criminal defense attorney. There is no obligation for any criminal case evaluation.

Be Sociable, Share!